Assignment 2 Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to help organize your thoughts for the paper and to ensure that you have done all the needed research prior to beginning the writing of the paper.
**Note: This is a hypothetical example to give you an idea of how to format your outline and include the required sections. It is not necessary to follow all parts of this outline, as it is an example. The bolded headings are required the rest of the headings and details will depend on your species and information found in reference sources.**
Assignment 2 Profile Outline: Giant Monkey Tree Frog
- Common and Scientific Names
- Common names: giant monkey tree frog. Also known as: blue and yellow frog, bicolored tree frog, giant monkey frog, giant leaf frog or waxy-monkey tree frog.
- Scientific name: Phyllomedusa bicolor
- Geographic Range
- Amazon Basin (Frost, 2009)
- Specific Location (Country, State, City)
- Brazil (Frost, 2009)
- Specific Location Biome
- Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest (de Paula Lima et al, 2010)
- Background and Description
- Not at risk of extinction. (Frost, 2009)
- Unique from similar frogs by a pupil that is vertically elliptical (Gagliardo, 2009)
- Nocturnal (Gagliardo, 2009)
- Males 91-103 mm, females 111-119 mm (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Dark green back with a white or cream belly (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Spots can be found all over the organism, especially on the flank and back legs (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Fingers are clear brown and have green adhesive discs (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Dark colored iris (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Physiology (Folger, 1995)
- Skin Pigments
- Protect against sun damage
- Help in camouflage to blend into trees
- Various secretions help
- Retain water
- Prevent infection
- Life Cycle of the Organism
- Egg Mass
- Consist from anywhere of 10 – hundreds of eggs (Gagliardo, 2009)
- Released on leaves near waterways(Gagliardo, 2009)
- Eggs are rolled or folded into leaves with the aid of the male (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Mating and conception (Jeffries, 2003)
- Queen female enters breeding reception once a year during summer month
- Fall into water when they hatch after 8 – 10 days (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Larvae are free swimmers (Gagliardo, 2009)
- Length of time as a tadpole depends on the temperature, in general it is 6 – 10 weeks. (Venancio & Melo-Sampio, 2010).
- Life Expectancy ten years (Encyclopedia of Life)
- Pupil that is vertically elliptical (Gagliardo, 2009)
- Adaptation found in species that are predators and are nocturnal or active at dawn and dusk. (Koryos, 2014)
- Adaptation evolved separately (Koryos, 2014)
- Skin adapted for survival in the Rainforest
- Unique skim pigments that protect against dehydration, infection and sun damage. (Gagliardo, 2009)
- Unique secretions that are used by indigenous people in rituals. (den Brave et al, 2014).
- Some debate – can be classified differently depending on the source
- Phyllomedusa bicolor
- DNA analysis indicates a close relationship between Pelodryadinae and Phyllomedusinae (Wiens, 2010).
- Fossil Information
- The earliest well documented amphibian is Ichthyostega, which dates back 363 mya. (Carroll, 1988).
- Frogs evolved about 200 mya. (Wells, 2010).
- Adaptation Pedal luring (Bertoluci, 2002)
- Additional Interest
- Ritual of Sapo (Kambo)
- “Kambo” is the common name for the Giant Tree Frog in Peru (den Brave et al, 2014)
- Skin secretion used by indigenous people of Peru as a lucky charm to improve hunting (Erspmaer et al, 1993) or to purify the body (den Brave et al, 2014).
- A healer will induce a burn on the right shoulder (in men) or the leg (in women) and skin secretions of the Giant tree frog are added to the burn. (den Brave et al, 2014).
- The active ingredient are several different peptides that act to excite nervous system in the flight or fight response (smooth muscle contraction, vasodilation, relaxation of arterial muscles as well as an inducement of an opiate- like response. (den Brave et al, 2014).
- Phyllomedusa bicolor, known also as the giant tree frog, is a common frog found throughout the Amazon Rainforest.
- The giant tree frog has unique adaptations that allow protect against sun damage, prevent dehydration and combat infection.
- The giant tree frog has a life cycle common to many other frogs: egg, tadpole, mature frog.
- The giant tree frog has eyes with a vertical pupil.
- Frogs evolved over 200 million years ago.
- Indigenous people in Peru use skin secretions in rituals.
Bertoluci, J. (2002). Pedal luring in the leaf frog Phyllomedusa burmeisteri (Anura, Hylidae, Phyllomedusinae). Phylomedusa 1(2), 93 – 95.
Carroll, R. (1988). Vertebrate Paleontology and Evolution. New York, NY: W.H. Freeman and Company.
den Brave, P., Bruins, E. & Bronkhorst, M. (2014). Phyllomedusa bicolor skin secretion and the Kambo ritual. J Venom Anim Toxins Incl Trop Dis. 20, 40 doi: 10.1186/1678-9199-20-40
Edson de Paula Lima, J., Rodder D. & Sole, M. (2010) Diet of two sympatric Phyllomedusa (Anura: Hylidae) species from a cacao plantation in southern Bahia, Brazil. North-Western Journal of Zoology. 6(1): 13 – 24.
Phyllomedusa bicolor Giant Leaf frog. (n.d.). In Encyclopedia of Life. Retrieved from http://eol.org/pages/1048381/
Erspmaer, V., Erspamer, G., Severini, C., Potenza, R., Barra, D., Mignogna, G., & Bianchi, A. (1993). Pharmacological studies of “sapo’ from the frog Phyllomedusa bicolor skin: A drug used by the Peruvian Matses Indians in shamanic hunting practices. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8266343
Frost, D.R. (2009). Amphibian Species of the Word: An Outline Reference. Version 5.3 (12 February 2009). Retrieved from http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia/
Gagliardo, R. (2009). ABCM Specialty Taxa Husbandry Phyllomedusines (Leaf Frogs). Retrieved from http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BW4p1DueFzwJ:www.amphibianark.org/pdf/Husbandry/Husbandry%2520of%2520Phyllomedusines.pdf+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Koryos (2014). The functions of different pupil shapes. Retrieved from http://www.koryoswrites.com/nonfiction/the-functions-of-different-pupil-shapes/
Mendes Venancio, N. & Melo-Sampio P. (2010). Reproductive behavior of the Giant Leaf Frog Phyllomedusa bicolor (Anura: Hylidae) in the Western Amazon. Phyllomedusa 9(1): 63 – 67.
Wells, K. (2010). The Ecology and Behavior of Amphibians. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
Wiens, J., Kuczynski, C., Hua, X., & Moen, D. (2010). An expanded phylogeny of treefrogs (Hylidae) based on nuclear and mitochondrial sequence data. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 55, 871–882.
I am truly thankful for this site for sharing fantastic and very high quality content at this time.
Thanks for this very illuminating website, keep up the skilled undertaking.
I must say you have high quality content here. Its Great!
I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy I found this during my hunt for something.
Hi. You assigned my work to the best writer!! She completed the work way before deadline with great quality. Strongly recommend her!!
This site will help the internet visitors for setting up new blog or even a blog from start to end.
Very well written!
Very well written! Excellent work! I am always pleased with this writer, will recommend him to anyone.
This is my third time to be assisted by this writer. and he/she delivered an excellent paper on "2B Technologies" and followed all the requirements and instructions I provided. Responds quickly to my messages.I Will purchase again,
Thank you so much!
Hello would you mind helping me on my next dissertation?
Hi. Thanks. You assigned my work to the best writer!! finished work way earlier than the deadline with great quality. Strongly recommend her!!
Project: Business Data Analysis
Though its the first project, the writer did a tremendous job.
Perfect query. Thank you for setting SQL on my computer. Great work highly recommended
I received the completed paper named " International relations and Development Studies Geneva".Your style is awesome, keep it up!
Thank you for helping me. Well done. Excellent service
Thanks for this colossal illuminating website, keep up the momentous undertaking
Wonderful website. I would like to know if you could complete 200 page dissertation for me also on the same subject I posted earlier. I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more regarding the terms and exact price. Appreciate it!
Peculiar website. This is totally what I wanted to find.
Right here is the right site for everyone who hopes to understand a topic well.
You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you. You definitely put a fresh spin on a subjects that have been written about for decades. Excellent, just great!
I appreciate your Assistance. I got an A grade.
I just received the final draft. I’m very pleased with it. The writer met my needs and exceeded the expectations. Although the paper was due next week, you guys have Completed it earlier.
I trust you more and I’ll be using this service again in the future.
Thank you for Completing my assignment on
Qualification Unit Number and Title Pearson BTEC Level 5 HND in Business Management (RQF) . That was excellent!
Great work and it was really hard for me to even start.
Excellent work. this is my fourth order and its an excellent paper. All the requirements and instructions I provide were well addressed. Excellent Writer.
Topic: The Effects of Herbs and Spices on Blood Pressure – A Systematic Review
I just went through the completed copy for "Dismantled, ornament based culture in 20th Century Vienna" . Its amazing
Very well written! I am always pleased With the services you Offer.
Thank you for the service. You provide High quality articles and research papers. I give you 5 star rating.
I would like to thanks you and I'm happy to work with you, please find new order to do the same as the previous order and same style of writing and the level moreover don't write general information try to be specific about the stated company and the tasks carried out daily.
I got this website from my friend who informed me about it and realized it is very informative.
Perfect. Thank you for the excellent work!
Your writing is excellent.Keep it Up.
This is the right website for anyone who hopes to find out about any topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you. You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about for decades. Wonderful stuff, just excellent!
Thanks towards this colossal illuminating website, keep up the momentous undertaking
I appreciate you work on my essay. Excellent